Thoughtful Thursday: We need to really unlearn certain things...

I recently joined clubhouse, (it's been about a week now), and I've been connecting with mother clubs, parenting groups and the like because I believe now this is my area, and part of my destiny-- encouraging mothers and parents.

There are things we have been raised with; and we have been exposed to certain perspectives and such and because that is all we know, we are now bringing into this generation but what we aren't realizing is that it's not working.. it can't work. Things are changing; the children of this time are changing, outlooks and so many other things are changing.. so we need to also change.

I was in a group where we are completely transparent with our experiences we have undergone in our lives; there was one particular thing we were discussing... did we ever have a chance to TALK to our parents.. to our family-- like sitting down all at one table, and speaking vulnerably, and transparent and boldly? Can you even do that?

Me personally, I want to create that safe space for my boys where they can feel so comfortable to come and speak to me about absolutely anything. The children, especially in this day and age need that so badly. They need to be able to speak to someone, without judgement, and without fear of being seen in such a way. The children now are exposed to SO MUCH; and if they have no one to talk to about it... then what?

The worst thing that we could do as parents is push our children away..
The worst thing that we could do is judge them for telling us things that we have most probably been through as well!

It's time to stop talking at our children... and talk WITH them... listen to them... help them.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughtful Thursday: "You're a big boy now"

Transparency Tuesday: More understanding

Thoughtful Thursday: My word for the year