Thoughtful Thusday: Trauma

I've really been thinking about trauma... we experience it in our adult lives.. but what about what we may not have realized we experienced as children?
As I've been stumbling on so many tik toks, youtube videos, and even Instagram reels on 'Childhood trauma' I really do wonder... what is classified as trauma?

Being beaten?
Being neglected?
Being spoken to in a way that isn't appropriate for a child?
Yelling?

Now that I am a parent.. I am really watching myself and how I go about raising my children.
But trauma can even be classified as a very scary or unforgettable experience.

My children got chased by a dog, and now my 5 year old is terrified when he sees a dog-- the road that we walk on, we HAVE to cross to the other side otherwise he starts to flip out.
Is this not trauma?

It's really something that can't be avoided or it can but there are particular situations that are beyond our control?

Again.. I am thinking out loud because I am still a parent who is learning everyday and seeking understanding.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughtful Thursday: "You're a big boy now"

Transparency Tuesday: More understanding

Thoughtful Thursday: My word for the year