Transparency Tuesday: Harsh lessons

From the start of the pandemic, I've started letting my 3 year old eat by himself.

Now this is going to sound so... silly.. but I kind of delayed doing it because I enjoy feeding my children and spending that quality time with them.
But honestly he's getting older and he needs to be more independent.. so yeah. I don't want to become one of those parents that ends up doing everything for their children-- because at the end of the day it's not helping them..

I made him lunch; noodles and hot dogs, put his plate down, put his fork in the food. I told him, "Jerry, make sure you blow your food because it's hot"

He took the fork and ate the noodles.

What do you think happened?

He spat the food out and went 'ow' lol.

So I told him again, and blew the food. Then I told him to blow the food. He blew.

He ate it and smiled.

I said 'see' and he went, 'see'

So I continued to watch him eat.. he would still put some of the food that is hot in his mouth-- remember what I said and then take another bit of food and blow on it.

Because what I used to do is bring out his food when it's cooled down so he doesn't have to wait for it to cool down-- but this is not helping him either. It means.. he'll expect his food to always be like that and not know about food coming out hot.

So.. he had to learn the hard way-- had to burn his mouth to realize in order to cool his food down, he needs to blow on it!

There are some children that no matter how much you warn them.. they have to feel the burn before it clicks in their mind that they need to do it.. (obviously.. safely)

Lessons!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughtful Thursday: "You're a big boy now"

Transparency Tuesday: More understanding

Thoughtful Thursday: My word for the year