Transparency Tuesday: Virtual speech and language

I had my first session of speech and language, virtually last week.

And when I tell you I wanted to pull my hair out... I got so upset by the end.

Jeremiah was running off... when it was his turn to partake in the activity he would hit the phone out of my hand and shout 'No', and as much as the speech and language therapists that were there are like 'It's ok, if he needs to run around just make sure you try and bring him back' I can't help but overthink and have it in my mind that these people have already labelled my child as naughty... 

Honestly, I feel for these kids that have to do virtual school-- it's not the same as being in the classroom.. let alone little children that have to do things virtually-- they don't really see it as anything.. they associate virtual with games or youtube.. so to do school or have sessions will definitely be a struggle.

The only upside is that there was one part of the session where Jeremiah liked a lot and he engaged with it well.. otherwise he was jumping off the chairs, shouting, throwing things...

I just was not in the best mood afterwards.

At one point, we lost connection.. and all of the other people that were in the session disappeared as well.. it was just all over the place.
I  got a call from his speech and language therapist after the session telling me not to worry and that it will get better... 

I hope so.

Comments

  1. It will definitely get better, I did the same thing virtually with my son last year. Now he’s talking non- stop you wouldn’t believe he was in speech therapy for 3 months intensive. If you don’t mind me sharing some tips to use Makaton signs and talk along ask him to show you what he need but use his words other than saying No! Another tip I did was put on YouTube @ miss Monica was a great help (early episodes are better) than move onto the new episodes. I still have a little trouble understanding him fully but it’s now full blown sentences and I can make out more words than before. One final tip is that when your about and he may say ‘Mummy look bus!’ Say wonderful this is when u can ask a question or state it’s a red bed, (no it’s not a typo) it may get him to say ‘No it’s a red bus so your engaging with him in words. Soon it will be a distant memory.

    Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughtful Thursday: "You're a big boy now"

Transparency Tuesday: More understanding

Thoughtful Thursday: My word for the year