Thoughtful Thursday: Chase their dreams

Do you remember what you wanted to be when you grow up?

Matthew said at random to me, "Mum, I want to be a chef" (This is a 3 year old...)
I said to him, "Of course, you can do whatever you want to do."
He went "Yeah, I want cook"

Because of recently, he's been hovering around me in the kitchen; and he even wants to help me-- and when he's doing his imaginative play, he's always 'cooking'.

And it's making me think I wonder what they will become.. but whatever they do become, I do not want to be the one to kill their dream. We all had something we wanted to do when we 'grow up' right? But it's so easy to crush someone's dream just by our words-- and as we are our children's guardians.. they value our words the most.

In certain cultures, it's a requirement you become a doctor.. or a nurse.. or something of high calibre because the parents can boast or brag.. but is that truly what your child wants to do?

The most important thing is that your child is walking down the path of their God given destiny; and not what you personally desire.

I am being so conscious to not  be one of those parents that live their life through their children-- which is why I am equally focusing on myself to leave a legacy for my boys.

And always pay attention to what your children say... they say such profound things but we tend to overlook them or shun them. You never know what they can become!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughtful Thursday: "You're a big boy now"

Transparency Tuesday: More understanding

Thoughtful Thursday: My word for the year