Thoughtful Thursday: We must guide them

I've been thinking about what I'm going to teach my boys when they become older.. and they start realizing certain things about life.
It's not everything that I'm going to be able to protect them from.. the best I can do is advise them. But if they have to go through it themselves, the least I can do is be there to guide them through it.

I was bullied when I was growing up-- the teenage years.. and I don't think my mother was prepared to see me go through that. But she did-- and we got through it.
It did affect certain things about me.. my self confidence and how I see myself; but honestly there are things that we need to go through to shape us.

I'm that kind of parent where I don't want my kids to struggle.. or have to go through hardships, but what good is that? What I'm actually doing is setting themselves up for failure. If I could manage to get my kids to avoid any kind of struggle or hardship... what will happen when they eventually face some kind of tough situation?

They wouldn't have a clue of what to do, and probably break down because of it. And they would eventually come back to me and ask questions.

So it is vital that are kids must experience hardships as they grow.. it will not only shape them.. but it will give them a thick skin and know that life is not as easy as they may have imagined!
When they enter a trial or a situation we as the parents are meant to hold their hands through it... not avoid it altogether!

I literally envision conversations I'm gonna have with my boys as they get older..

..is that weird?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughtful Thursday: "You're a big boy now"

Transparency Tuesday: More understanding

Thoughtful Thursday: My word for the year