Thoughtful Thursday: Put the phone down

So, on one of my commutes to taking Jeremiah to nursery; because of how COVID has now made bus journeys, it's not advisable to sit next to someone. So when I park the buggy in the buggy space, myself and Jeremiah need to go to a seat far away from him. 
I don't like taking him out of the buggy unless we're gonna be on the bus for a little while... so what do I do? Give him my phone for entertainment.

Jeremiah also wanted to watch the phone... so what happened? He had a tantrum.

We were sitting behind a lady who immediately put her attention on Jeremiah, turned and said 'How are you?"
He shouted 'No!" and hit her on the head. 

I quickly apologized and she said: "Don't worry, I'm a mother too. I have a son who is 29!"

She asked me where I'm from and the fact that phones causes so many problems and whenever I can I should put it away and talk to my kids. She advised me praise my children more than I chastise them.. such and such.

I appreciated her advice.. but her judgement about the phone was based on 2.5 seconds of witnessing a tantrum.
You don't see how much time I spend interacting with my kids at home.. when I'm walking him to and from nursery..?

She did say some things I agreed with, that we need to allow our boys to express themselves, and also be in tune with their emotions. They can still be men and have emotions.

The thing is.. there are certain times on the commute where I want a little peace and the phone does do that for me!
I can be ridiculed and judged for it.. and that's ok.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughtful Thursday: "You're a big boy now"

Transparency Tuesday: More understanding

Thoughtful Thursday: My word for the year