Transparency Tuesday: Mummy walk!

So about a week back I wrote a short story about my experience of my youngest, Matthew basically almost walking into the road. lol.

Would you believe that he didn't walk until 17 months? (1 yr, 5 months)
Was I concerned? Yes?
Did I think something was wrong with my child? Yes and no

Despite him not walking, he was still making some kind of movement: shuffling with one leg. He was cruising, and doing all of those other good things.. but the walking happened much later.
Can you also believe he skipped crawling altogether? It was when he started to walk, that's when he decided he wanted to crawl as well.

I tell you... kids are such amazing little human beings-- and this is why we can't restrict their growth and development based on theories and books. It can definitely be used as a guide, but it should not be used as crutch to tell someone's child that 'there's something wrong with them' or 'they are delayed' 
Obviously if there are other characteristics that are accompanying the delay, that is a completely different story. But if your child is meeting milestones and growing normally; their time will come.

And as a parent, your gut will most definitely tell you something was wrong. I was a little concerned because I was comparing his development to the other kids near his age-- they were all walking. Even his brother.. I compared the time he started to how Matthew was. His brother started walking before he turned 1, (10 months I believe) so really I was the problem. lol.
I was over worrying and over thinking.. and as I was doing that.. one day he just took 1 step, 2, steps.. and he was walking!

Now the walking has become an obsession! He wants to go outside everyday and walk.. why? I believe because he took so long, he's now catching up for lost time! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughtful Thursday: "You're a big boy now"

Transparency Tuesday: More understanding

Thoughtful Thursday: My word for the year