I was waiting to drop Jeremiah off to nursery one day... and this parent that drops her daughter off at the same time; who just always greets me with a 'Hello, how are you' decided to strike up a small conversation with me. She asked me where do I live, because she was telling me how she's not driving and some other details. I told her where I live and she looked at me in shock and said 'Why did you decide to put your child here?' I explained to her how Jeremiah has a speech delay; and the nursery he's at currently, (well it was the children's centre that's attached to it) really supported him during his speech and language sessions (when we were allowed to go outside -_-) and he got very acquainted with all the surroundings so I just thought it would be the best place for him-- and it is because he's getting an immense amount of support and he's progressed a lot with his speech. Then she asked me... how old he is, I told her, and this is the one...
I'm sure you read the title with one eyebrow raised... I'm a mother of 2.. and a lot of the time I really do NOT know what I am doing. I just know that I have to make sure I keep my kids.. ALIVE. So.. I have to at least make sure they're clean, they're fed, they're happy and that they are developing well.. Right. So I KNOW I need to do these things... but HOW? Let me be real with you. When I had my first child, I just took it day by day. And somehow everything came naturally. You begin to bond with your child, you learn their routine, their needs, their scheduling etc and you begin to grasp this mother thing.. But as they continue to grow.. they also change and you have to do everything over and over again.. as they grow older their needs change as well as everything else! When I had my second child.. it wasn't as hard, but because this is a completely different human being to my first, I have to learn about him and learn his likes, dislikes, his...
There was a time I was at one of my friends' house, and they were just casually asking Jeremiah to get him a bottle-- it was a bottle of medicine. He stood there looking around for whatever she was asking for. When it was taking a while, she asked to get him her phone-- he picked it up swiftly and gave it to her. When she asked for the bottle again, (the bottle was in eyesight..) he was looking around. So I picked up the bottle and went 'Jeremiah you know what a bottle is! Waving it around his face' He put his head down and didn't even want to look at anything anymore. Then asking to get other things and him getting them-- we later realized he didn't actually recognize the word 'bottle' And I really checked my own self, and caused me to get into perspective. We don't realize the words that we use (I didn't until that day!) in general conversation, or even when we are instructing them. It just made me conscious to make sure I use a lot of vocabulary--...
Comments
Post a Comment