Transparency Tuesday: I keep having this conversation...

When I had my two boys; it didn't come into my mind that in the future they would be ridiculed because of the colour of their skin.. and stereotyped not because they are doing anything, but, again, because of their skin colour.

I was having a chat with one of my friends, and we were just talking about having more children. I don't want any... of course, lol, but she wouldn't mind having another. I asked her if she wouldn't mind having a boy (she's got a girl already); but she made a very clear point in saying that the way society and the world is now, having a boy would be so worrying. You send your son to the shops and because he's black, he'll just randomly be stopped and searched.

What kind of life is this? And the racism now is getting worse and becoming even more blatant. Not only being black.. but being a black BOY. It's a real problem.

I'm not looking forward to conversations I need to have with my boys about how to comport themselves when they're outside.. or when they see police.. I'm not looking forward to it all-- and the thing is it's better to do it as early as possible. I pray that they will not have to experience anything like that before I decide to have the conversation with them.

How do you even initiate that kind of conversation with a child?

The dread of it all.. but it is completely necessary. I really hope and pray by the time they are a bit older.. things would have somehow got better? I'm speaking in faith because.. I believe in God and know things can turn around.

But until then, we surely do have to educate our boys.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughtful Thursday: "You're a big boy now"

Transparency Tuesday: More understanding

Thoughtful Thursday: My word for the year