Transparency Tuesday: Understanding 'On the spectrum'

I've learned a lot about autism since Jeremiah started exhibiting characteristics of it since he was 2. The first with having a speech delay. He's currently on the waiting list to be assessed.

So much so.. I booked a GP session to discuss it with one of the doctors. When the doctor encountered Jeremiah... they said he's not autistic.. he's giving me eye contact and he's smiling at me.
But upon deeper research, a child can have autism and make eye contact and smile. Autism doesn't only have one way, and even it can be hidden, you wouldn't see it the way you think.

But what is funny is that no educational professionals have actually taken me to the side and asked me 'Have you checked for autism? or 'Do you think your child is autistic'

My fear is though... I don't want to overlook anything, so what was even suggested by Jeremiah's speech and language therapist at the time was to just 'go through the process' get everything checked.. (because he had a speech delay) so the first thing was to check his hearing-- did that. Hearing is perfect. Then the next thing was to speak to a paediatrician, and then after that go for an initial assessment. That's all done-- when I went to the assessment they didn't say anything about autism but asked me would I like to put him on the list just to check for anything. I agreed.

My only question is... can the characteristics of autism subside? Can they stop? Because a lot of what Jeremiah used to do-- he doesn't do them anymore. There are still a couple of things that he does but nowhere near like before.

I understand why they say 'on the spectrum' because there are levels to it-- there isn't only one sort of way autism shows itself.. it can be very high.. it can be mild and it can be low.

I'm literally thinking out loud because it is so complex!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughtful Thursday: "You're a big boy now"

Transparency Tuesday: More understanding

Thoughtful Thursday: My word for the year